Log in

Mastering Focus: The Power of Prioritization and Overcoming Distractions

Mar 20th, 2021 | 3 Min Read
Blog Thumnail

Category: Spirituality


Language: English

In today's fast-paced world, the most commonly used phrase is 'I don't have time. I am busy!' Even Though we use it so often, we are always encumbered by stress. We are busy all day, yet things take time to get done! On the other hand, some people work all day long yet stay calm and peaceful. They have time for everything. They enjoy their work and also enjoy quality time with their family.

What's more? They also have time to socialise and engage in sports activities. We all have 24 hours, yet how do they manage to be at the top of every task? The answer to it is focus. When the sun shines, the sunlight is scattered all over the place. But when the same sunlight is focused through a magnifying glass, it can burn down paper.

Similarly, anything we do also requires focus. We are most often used to multitasking, but multitasking might lead to more confusion. The primary key is to prioritise our daily work. Pareto's principle states that '80% of our work results in only 20% of value. And the 20% of work we do adds 80% value to our life.

Overcoming Distractions: Staying Focused in a Distracted World

Most often, people create a to-do list that encompasses ten different things. Now, people complete nine tasks but fail to meet the one most important task. And when that still needs to be done, the other nine things are also useless. Consider an example where you want to lose weight. The two aspects of it are exercise and diet. You exercise for 1 hour daily, go for a walk, and take up swimming. It's been three months, but you are not losing weight! Why? Because you had no control over your diet. You were eating every chaat, rasgulla, and ice cream you got. Then how would the weight drop? Pareto's principle applies here as well. Did you know that exercise only constitutes 20% of your fitness, and the remaining 80% is based on your diet?

Sant Eknath's Lesson: The Strength of Unwavering Focus

Once, a man went to Sant Eknath and said, "O learned one. I tried hard to attach my mind to God, but I failed. There are so many problems my way. No one allows me to do devotion. Please help me out. Can you read my palm and tell me what to do?" Sant Eknath took his hand and stared at the lines for some time. After a while, he said," I have some bad news for you. You are going to die in a week!" The man was shocked! However, he made a solid resolve to attach his mind to God. Sant Eknath asked him to meet him after a week. On the day of his death, the man came running to the saint. Now, Sant Eknath asked him," Were you able to attach your mind to God?" He said," Yes, I was completely focused on God. Nothing could disturb my mind." Now, the sage revealed that he would not die that very day. He said so to help him attach his mind to God!

We all are in the same position in life. We often claim that the world is imperfect, and I could not do this because of a colleague or my parents, relatives, neighbours, etc. But the truth is that these are just excuses. When our intellect is convinced that this is the most important thing to do, then no one matters. Warren Buffet once said, "I have to say 1000 no's to fulfil one yes." He gets so many propositions daily that if he commits to one of them, naturally, he has to deny the others. But it is all about making the right choice.

Mastering Focus: Practical Strategies for Success

Now, how do we improve our focus? That can only be done when we prioritise and decide what is the most essential thing that needs to be done right now. We ought to choose which is more beneficial rather than what is more pleasurable. Today's world is no short of distractions. You sit down to prepare your presentation, and that is when a message pops up on your phone. If you choose to give in, you will lose focus, but otherwise, you could finish your work and check your phone. A kid has an exam tomorrow, and his favourite movie is on TV. Do you think he will watch it? Not. What to speak of movies, kids forget to eat when they know they have an exam the next day. The top priority then is studies. Therefore, to make our life simpler, and to achieve greater success, the only thing we need to do is to focus. Focus on the most important aspect of life. Choose value over pleasure.